How It Works
Our program leads collegiate startup teams through a modular system that helps students and alumni develop startup planning and project management skills based on the lean startup model. Teams also develop effective people and project leadership skills, as well as startup team foundation and collaboration skills to utilize the academic discipline, competencies, and passion of each cofounder.
- Student startup teams participate in 2 interactive boot camps + 1 startup pitch per module (see graphic above)
- Developmental focus on Learning + Testing + Feedback + Continuous Improvement
- Regular assessments and coaching by Alberto Solis, Program Director
- Shared-Purpose Model: Integration of academic content expertise and business & industry experience with business venture startups
- Faculty research-based instruction and advisement
- Entrepreneur and business leader instruction and coaching
- Startup Venture Advisor
- As a participant, you will have access to Startup Venture Advisors for key areas of planning and executing your Startup Venture
- Our program collaborates with other collegiate entrepreneurial programs in New Mexico (NMSU Studio G Accelerator, UNM Innovation Academy, CNM Ignite Accelerator) to provide you access to additional resources:
- Startup advisory and mentoring networks
- Funding streams for market analysis and business model testing
- Entrepreneurial learning resources
- As you proceed with your discovery and planning stages, your team is able to request assistance from business and startup venture advisors. We will lead you to existing resources (see collegiate entrepreneurial programs linked above) or introduce you to available faculty and industry advisors.
- Your team may review available patented technologies available for licensing and commercialization through sources such as Sandia National Laboratories, Los Alamos National Laboratory, and STC.UNM. Contact us for further details.
- Selection to compete for startup funding at our UNM Entrepreneurial Showcase on April 10, 2020 (formerly Business Plan Competition) will be determined by the submission of each team's Executive Analysis of their Startup Venture idea and the team's readiness to implement planning to lead its venture during Year 1 of operation by achieving startup benchmarks.
- Meet Our 2018-19 Venture Teams